Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Ooooo-klahoma where the winds come blowin' na-na na!

If I had one word to describe Oklahoma, it would not be windy, or green, 
or flat - it would be bugs. I have never in all the places I've lived, seen so many bugs! It started with the giant, jet-black tarantulas crossing the country road we were on as we headed to camp, and ended with the giant cockroach chasing me in the bathroom - not to mention the millions of strange creatures on the in-between, bites on my arms and legs and the screaming that was involved. 
In spite of the bugs, we had great fun, entertaining trips into the itty-bitty town just down the street from camp, lots of super friendly people, 
and fantastic hikes. 


On our hikes, much of the time my head was down so as not to trip over the rocky and cluttered pathways, and I found myself experiencing more than just seeing what was around me. The hot wet air and cooling breeze on my skin, sharp twigs and branches that poked and scraped at my legs. Bugs whizzing by my head and ears, calling birds and insects. And the beautiful green smells of the forest. 

But when we did stop there was much beauty to behold.   


Alex sniffed out a turtle.


We ate our lunch in a beautiful spot by the stream.


We stopped to feel the stillness of the ponds.


We climbed through very big boulders,


And loved the vistas at the end of the trails.



No comments:

Post a Comment