Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Looking for the Lighthouse

I kept feeling like I was missing things this week! I missed getting the camera out in time to catch the roadrunner - instead I got this picture of an empty dirt road.


We went to Santa Fe for a day excursion, and somehow missed the charm of downtown. I expected to find cool places to shop and lots of great architecture and history. Does anyone know if that exists? Seriously - I couldn't find it! 

On our way to Amarillo, we passed an honest-to-goodness ghost town. I missed it. Flying down the freeway at 80 miles an hour, I realized what I was seeing halfway through the town. And then it was gone. I suppose ghost towns are like that.  

I had been looking forward the entire day to seeing the sunset glowing on the red cliffs of Palo Duro - we missed that by just a few minutes.

 And yet with the things I missed came so many things I didn't miss! We didn't miss the turn-off for one of the coolest route 66 spots ever.



I didn't miss stealing a kiss from my hubby :)

Or the flat plains of Texas that went on for miles and miles - I suppose I would have to be knocked out cold to have missed those though...


We laid in our tent that night and enjoyed an amazing thunderstorm, and when we woke up in the morning we found this in our campground. I made David go sneak a picture of it! I've always wanted one of those silver bullet campers, but I suppose if I couldn't have one of those, this would suffice. Note the attention to every detail of all things Texas on this John Wayne one-of-a-kind.



Lastly, because of the thunderstorm, the air was cool enough for us to take a beautiful 6-mile hike that brought us this amazing view of the canyon,










And the lighthouse at the end of the trail.







1 comment:

  1. I've been to conferences in Santa Fe and Taos, NM. The cute downtown is in Taos :(

    ReplyDelete